Monday, September 5, 2011

Yemy Fling

Joel asked the guy for a receipt when I bought my camera battery, and boy am I glad he did, because it turned out to be my favorite Peru souvenir thus far.
He asked my name and I told him. I spelled out "Jamie" for him and watched as he completely ignored me and wrote down "Yemy." So I didn't even try to spell out "Flynn." Then he asked me for the rest of my name and I told him that was all. He didn't believe me, so he ignored me and asked Joel what the rest of my name was. Joel said that was it and that I only have one last name. The guy didn't believe him either, so they argued for a little bit about whether or not I had another name until Joel finally convinced him that that's the way we do it in America. (Here they take the mother's name and the father's name, so people have two.)
There are a lot of times (particularly during roll call when the teachers are calling for "Yommy" or "Hy-may") when I feel like life as a Spanish major would have been easier if my parents had just named me Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment