Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beach!!!!!!

Today was pretty awesome. 


I got up this morning determined to run off some of that pizza and cake. (Me and Raquel have also agreed to a Pizza Pact: no pizza for 3 weeks). This time I did some reconnaissance (that just took 10 tries and an online dictionary to spell right) and google mapped my neighborhood. I found a pretty big park about a mile and a half away, so my plan was to go there and get away from the traffic and exhaust. But then Wilmer, who lives at the house too but is from Peru, said that it was only about 2 miles to the beach. YES PLEASE! He said he would go with me, so off we went. The jog there wasn't that bad, either. It was on a busy street but there was a bike path in the median of the street with trees on either side so it was pretty nice. 
I was so excited to finally see the ocean! Who knew that it was right there? When you get to it, it's a big cliff that you can look over and see the beach below, but we went a little farther down the coast to a spot where you could go down and get up next to the water. It was pretty foggy, but it was still really pretty, and I got to see some people surfing. It's way too cold right now to be in the water without a wetsuit, so the surfers and joggers were pretty much the only people there. 
(this isn't my pic, but this is the beach I was on. It's called costa verde, or the green coast)
When I got back me and Raquel decided to go to a shopping center called Polvos Azules. They sell all kinds of stuff...electronics, clothes, DVDs, CDs, watches, perfumes, sunglasses, trinkets. Most of it is knockoffs or bootlegs so it's super cheap. I, of course, didn't buy any bootleg DVDs or CDs because that would be illegal and wrong. 
Then we took a cab to Miraflores and walked around Parque Kennedy. I tried street food for the first time, so cross your fingers that I don't get food poisoning. I'm not too worried, though, because Raquel's Peruvian friend had recommended these particular turkey sandwiches from this particular street vendor. And delicious they were. We walked around the park and browsed all the artist's stands and the other goings on. 
We attempted a movie night when we got home, but the Dinner For Schmucks DVD that I bought legally at a reputable entertainment store, for some reason stopped working after the first 1/2 hr or so. Bummers! 

2 comments:

  1. I NEVER buy the bootleg DVD's here either. ;) Illegal be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm glad we're both such upstanding citizens!

    ReplyDelete