Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Final Chapter of my Junin adventures

Sunday, 6:45 a.m.: I woke up to the sound of the most obnoxious bird you've ever heard in your life. It sounded like it was right outside our window, too. We went outside and scared it away. I snapped some pics of the early morning mist over the mountains and the city which we had a gorgeous view of from our hotel room.
When I woke up the second time I got some breakfast out on the patio, and then went for a run with one of the girls I was rooming with. We decided to take advantage of the fresh air and the lack of traffic, since it's something you can't find in Lima. We ran up a killer hill until I finally gave up and started walking and let her go on ahead. In my defense it was hot out.....and I'm out of shape.
Then we went back and I spent the rest of the morning in the pool or laying out in the sun beside it. 
At around one, we headed back, this time in the bus. It was extremely hot for like the 1st hour, and wouldn't you know it, there was only one window that opened and the air conditioner didn't work. After we got out of the jungle, it cooled off, though, and by the time we stopped in Tarma to eat lunch (at 4 btw, these people remind me of dad with their tendency to forget to feed us) it was already to chilly for the shorts we all had on. So all of us gringas in shorts and tank tops walking down the street kind of made a scene. Especially when our tour guide had to shout at us, using the name we had chosen for our bus, "los cuyes valientes" (the mighty guinea pigs), when a couple people started wandering in the wrong direction. 
We ate at a restaurant called Hot N Tender, because it was the only thing open at 4 p.m. on a Sunday. It was interesting, basically fried chicken, wings and fries. Not your typical Peruvian dishes.
After that we got back on the bus, and I spent the next 6 hours hating life, because I was too knocked out on dramamine to stay awake and too uncomfortable to really sleep.
But we made it home, and despite the roadbumps, I'd say it was a very successful trip! Can't wait for Cusco in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment